alternative to (require ...)

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: alternative to (require ...)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:32:51 +0000

hi there,

most of the 3rd party packages i have for emacs (such as color-theme, php-mode,
htmlize) are loaded in my ~/.emacs file by statements such as

  (require 'htmlize)

but if this package is not installed on the system, emacs bails on loading the
rest of my ~/.emacs file. this is quite annoying as i like to maintain a single
~/.emacs file and use it wherever i am using emacs.

is there an alternative command i can use, which doesn't result in emacs crying
if it can't find the package? or at least if there is an "if exists" check i
could do and incorporate into a wrapper function, say called (requests ...)

Free High School Science Texts
Sam's Homepages