Re: Emacs port to Eclipse

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Emacs port to Eclipse
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:38:25 +0100

Thomas L Roche <tlroche@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:
>> I'm afraid it might be a lot of work to reimplement Emacs...
>
> Really ?-) My point was, look at how to wrap emacs so as to allow it
> to interact with eclipse, NOT reimplement emacs. (Which sounds like a
> job for another lifetime :-)

My above comment was made in the context of doing what viPlugin does.  8-)

I'm still not sure how to go about the integration of Emacs and
Eclipse.  RemoteEclipse is one way to do (part of) it.  But I'd think
that it would be most natural for an Emacs user to invoke the
functionality from within Emacs.

For instance, this means that I'd expect to be able to do M-x
find-callers RET RET to find the callers of the method at point.

What do people think?

When I was using Eclipse, it annoyed me to no end that I couldn't use
C-n and C-p to navigate certain popup windows, such as the one from
"find file".  (I forget what the command is called, but I bound it to
C-x C-f.  It pops up a window where I can enter a filename substring,
or a glob-like pattern, and it shows me all directories where this
file is present.  So I can do <down> to select the one I want and hit
RET.  Obviously, I'd expect to be able to do C-n instead of <down>...
But maybe operating Eclipse becomes more bearable with my new Happy
Hacking Keyboard.  I've yet to get used to the new cursor keys on it.)

Kai