Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:47:42 -0700

Floyd Davidson wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Floyd Davidson wrote:
>>>I'm not sure what the default bindings are, but I've always used
>>>any emacs with M-g bound to the goto-line function.  That means
>>>going to line 214 is as easy as the key sequence 'ESC 214 ESG g'
>>>This is what is in my .emacs file:
>>> (define-key esc-map  "g" 'goto-line)
>>>
>>By default M-g is a prefix key, bound to facemenu-keymap.  I prefer:
>>
>>(global-set-key "\C-cg" 'goto-line)
>>(global-set-key "\C-cG" 'goto-char)
>
> Wellll...  that is an abomination that shouldn't be allowed
> to survive!  (Okay, the fact that I've been using M-g bound
> to goto-line for 20 years has something to do with my opinion,
> but...)

M-g is reserved for Emacs to bind.  The `C-c LETTER' keys are reserved
for the user to bind.

> How often do you ever use the facemenu-keymap command, compared
> to the goto-line command?  In my case, I regularly use
> goto-line, and simply *never* use the facemenu-keymap command.
> (I don't use that functionality at all, even by menu or
> otherwise, as I basically never change any of the faces on the
> fly.)

I seldom use goto-line, and never use the facemenu-* commands.

> Hence a nice short key sequence like M-g should be assigned to
> a commonly used command, and an often used command like goto-line
> is a good example

Whether goto-line is often used, whether it should be often used, and
whether M-g is a good binding for it are all arguable points.

> (which I can't imagine binding to a three key
> sequence).

`C-c g' is a 2-character key sequence.

--
Kevin Rodgers