Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!
Date: 26 Feb 2004 19:22:08 +0100

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:
>
> > And on top of that, I couldn't imagine that someone nowadays would
> > use Emacs without global-font-lock-mode turned on.
>
> I agree.  Which begs the question: Why on earth is it turned _off_
> by default?

I have it turned off.  I use Emacs mostly for TeX programming, and
there its competence in analysing complex TeX documents is not
convincing (complex TeX documents can hardly be tackled by anything
but TeX, since syntax categories in this macro language change on the
fly).

I am exposed to large amounts of text all the time.  The contrast on
screen is already much lower than on paper, I need not lower it more
artificially.  In a typical TeX macro document, more than half of the
important text consists of comments.  Making those less readable by
casting them into some weird color is contraproductive.

Colored text is also disadvantaging people with reading disabilities.
Using a full-contrast display at the start for configuring an
unreadable one is easier than using an unreadable one for configuring
a full-contrast display.

On of the few customizations I use when testing things with XEmacs is
to turn off its default font lock mode.