Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:30:06 GMT

> Actually, under OS X 10.3.2, built from CVS using Andrew Choi's
> patches (./configure --without-aqua --with-x)

I assume you mean Emacs's CVS repository, but I don' know what patches
you're referring to.

> neither the Cmd key nor the Alt key function as Meta.  Only the Esc key is
> available as Meta.  I *think* the problem is aactually in Apple's X11; Cmd
> or Alt worked as Meta under XDarwin and OroborOSX in OS X 10.1.5.
> In fact, Cmd-w results in trying to exit Emacs and getting dialog boxes
> about saving buffers and newsrc-dribble.

Under X11 with OS X 10.3.2 my Apple key is mapped to Meta by default.
This is completely independent of Emacs, of course, and can simply be
checked with `xev'.  Are you sure your problems aren't due to some
xmodmap fiddling?

> had the mouse wheel work under Aqua builds (and again I think this is
> an Apple problem; the scroll wheel doesn't work in other X11 windows
> either).

My wheel works fine under X11 on OS X 10.3.2, as does the fn+touchpad trick
provided by the `ucontrol' utility.  Maybe I'm just lucky,

        Stefan