Re: shuddering initial frame, dump-emacs, source

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: shuddering initial frame, dump-emacs, source
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:24:07 -0700

Joe Corneli wrote:
> I got it working fine, thanks for your help.
>
> I think it is a little weird that you have to set the defaults in
> two places.

You don't have to, you can do it either way.  It's just that your .emacs
file isn't loaded until the initial frame is created, so you have to use
X resources to avoid redisplaying the initial frame.

> I also noticed the following: on the one hand, we have this:
>
> M-: (equal (scroll-bar-mode . (())) (scroll-bar-mode nil))
>
> But on the other hand, putting (scroll-bar-mode nil) into the
> default-frame-alist causes the flickering appearance of a scroll
> bar.  Is this a bug? How is Emacs detecting the fact that
> (scroll-bar-mode nil) is not dotted?

It doesn't:

(foo . ()) == (foo . nil) == (foo)
(foo . (())) == (foo . (nil)) == (foo nil)

As far as I know, scroll-bar-mode is not a recognized frame parameter.
The defined frame parameters are vertical-scroll-bars,
horizontal-scroll-bars, scroll-bar-width, scroll-bar-foreground, and
scroll-bar-background.

Perhaps you are inadvertantly calling the scroll-bar-mode function,
which toggles the display of scroll bars when the FLAG argument is nil
(if you want to force them off, use a negative number e.g. -1).

--
Kevin Rodgers