Re: Emacs on Aix questions

From: Martin Jost
Subject: Re: Emacs on Aix questions
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:41:18 +0100

"Hemond, Steve" <SHEMOND@SMURFIT.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.2129.1076349584.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
1. Is is possible to tell emacs not to use backup and temporary files? I
hate listing a directory filled with #file and file~ files, and I don't
really need to backup this way. Can I get rid of that feature easily?

>From the emacs-info file (node "Backup Files")
   For most files, the variable `make-backup-files' determines whether
to make backup files.  On most operating systems, its default value is
`t', so that Emacs does write backup files.

so a
(setq make-backup-files nil)
in your .emacs should (mostly) "fix" the ~-part.
(mostly because of the "For most files,..." in the info-text.

>From the emacs-info file (node "Controlling Auto-Saving")
   Each time you visit a file, auto-saving is turned on for that file's
buffer if the variable `auto-save-default' is non-`nil' (but not in
batch mode; *note Entering Emacs::).  The default for this variable is
`t', so auto-saving is the usual practice for file-visiting buffers.

so a
(setq auto-save-default  nil)
in your .emacs should "fix" the #-part.

HTH

Martin

Sorry for the late reply, my newsreader didn't want to post at first try...