CVS Emacs can't encode CJK into UTF-8 when saving file ("problematic cha

From: David Wuertele
Subject: CVS Emacs can't encode CJK into UTF-8 when saving file ("problematic characters")?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 10:14:41 -0800

I was having problems saving CJK files in 21.1 so I downloaded CVS
emacs (claims to be 21.3.50), built and ran it thusly:

  ./configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=no
  make
  src/emacs -q

In emacs, I ran

  (set-language-environment "utf-8")

I opened a file called "test.UTF-8.1" and wrote the following:

  # -*- coding: utf-8 -*

I then typed C-x C-s and the file saved fine.

Next, I ran

  (set-input-method "japanese")

and I typed

  日本語

then I tried to save the file.  Here is the error I got:

  These default coding systems were tried to encode text
  in the buffer `test.UTF-8.1':
    mule-utf-8
  However, each of them encountered these problematic characters:
    mule-utf-8: .$(BF|.(B .$(BK\.(B .$(B8l.(B
  The first problematic character is at point in the displayed buffer,
  and C-u C-x = will give information about it.

  Select one of the following safe coding systems, or edit the buffer:
    shift_jis iso-2022-jp euc-jp iso-2022-7bit
    japanese-iso-7bit-1978-irv
  Or specify any other coding system
  at the risk of losing the problematic characters.

(the above has some cut and pasted characters that didn't make the
journey, they are "日本語" underlined).  And in the minibuffer:

  Select Coding System (default shift_jis):

Is there a way for me to use emacs to author utf-8 files with CJK in
them?

Thanks,
Dave