No files can be recovered from this session now

From: no-reply
Subject: No files can be recovered from this session now
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:29:16 -0400

Hi,
my question is probably very common, but please read this message to the end.

My computer crashed (not due to emacs) while I have lots of open buffers in emacs, so I reboot and launch emacs, then "Recover session". But when typing C-c C-c
on the latest .saves-* file, I get the message
"No files can be recovered from this session now"

I could not find ANY information on what this could mean :

- searching the archive of this very list for this phrase gives:
 "No document matching your query."
- a google search gives about 20 references
 which are completely irrelevent for the common user.
 (with stack tracebacks,  *.el and other configuration files, etc.)

So :
- what does (or : can) it mean ?
(Under the first, most basic, simple and frequent hyopthesis that "all is working well")

One innocent answer might be :
- there are no unsaved files ! All has been saved before the crash
  (and the #...# files removed),  no file has thereafter been modified.

But then :
- why do I have the ".saves-*" file, nonempty
(listing all my open buffers, normal and #...# filenames),
with modification/creation date just the time of the crash ?
Is this ".saves-" file not updated whenever a file has successfully been saved
 and not yet modified again ?

And most of all :
- why is the message so cryptic (instead of saying "no backup files found")
 and there is not a little more explicit help on all of this ?

I imagined lots of more complicated answers that could explain this message
before doing " ll `cat ~/.em*/.sav*` " to see that none of the #files# existed. (Did I choose not the latest .saves- file ? because another error also came up: "recover-file: Auto-save file /home/user/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/#.saves-20606-localhost~# not current". [the function "recover-file" went by default into this strange hidden subdirectory !] - did I "loose all" because I did not "recover-session" right at the first launch of emacs ?...)

Thanks in advance,

   Fred