latex-mode vs AucTeX latex-mode

From: Henning Rust
Subject: latex-mode vs AucTeX latex-mode
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:46:20 +0100

Hi,
I run gnu emacs 21.3.1 and start AucTeX from .emacs like this
;; ---- AUC-TeX ---
(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
(setq-default TeX-master nil)

A .tex file is usually recognized and the AUCTeX enhanced latex-mode is started.

Unfortunately, I recently discovered that there is a latex-mode, which is not supported by AUCTeX. When ending up in that mode, there is no latex-menu and the AUCTeX commands like C-c C-c do not work anymore. I do not get there on purpose, it is rather an accident. All subsequent .tex files I open will end up in this plain latex-mode. I have no idea how I got there. Restarting emacs brings back the desired (normal) situation. Does anybody know what happens here?

Thanks,
        Henning

--
Henning Rust
Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research

Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments,
send plain text or PDF instead.