colors using -nw in 21.3

From: KC Braunschweig
Subject: colors using -nw in 21.3
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:12:28 -0800

I've recently installed emacs 21.3, compiled on Solaris 2.6 to run on 2.6, 8 and 9 (SPARC). When running with the -nw option, color support produces unexpected results. Our previous version (20.2.1) supported a wide range of colors (for example $ emacs -fg DarkSlateGrey -bg wheat -nw). The 21.3 installation seems to only support the the 8 standard colors listed via M-x list-colors-display and selecting any other colors, such as those in my example results in a bright green color being used.

The man page leads me to believe that all colors listed in /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt should be supported. We've tested this in xterm-color as well as dtterm with the same results. Any idea what has gone wrong? Did I miss an option when compiling?

The only configure option I used was --prefix. I used:
gcc: 2.95.2
make: Solaris 2.6 make

Thanks,

KC Braunschweig