Accents circumflex and diaeresis

From: Philippe Auclair
Subject: Accents circumflex and diaeresis
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:21:51 +0200

Hi,

I have searched the archives
(http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/), but I haven't found
exactly what I am looking for.

I am using GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit), with a
Cygwin-XFree86 X server on a MS Windows XP box, with a French keyboard.

After a few hesitations, I now can type in Emacs most accented characters,
including those which are directly typed on the keyboard, such as e-acute
(é), e-grave (è) and so on, and those obtained with the AltGr key:
{[|`\^@]}.

Now, if I enter the command "M-x iso-accents-mode", I can get the accented
characters, such as a-circumflex (â), or e-diaeresis (ë), by typing AltGr-^,
or ", followed by the character to be accented.

Or, as suggested in the archive
(http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2003-01/msg00745.html), if
I evaluate
(global-set-key (kbd "<dead-circumflex>") (kbd "^"))
(global-set-key (kbd "<S-dead-diaeresis>") (kbd "¨"))
I can type ^ and ¨ using the key which produces the <dead-circumflex> and
<dead-diaeresis> keysyms.

But... if I try both iso-accents-mode and key setting, I can't use the dead
key to produce the circumflex and diaeresis accented characters.

What I would like sounds simple:
<dead-circumflex> followed by a character should produce that character with
a circumflex if available
<dead-diaeresis> followed by a character should produce that character with
a diaeresis

I would much prefer this to the normal iso-accents-mode, which is quite of a
bore, because the keys ~, ", and ' get everything messed up for characters I
don't need.

Anyone have an idea?

Regards,
Philippe Auclair
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique
Unité Centrale Informatique de Jouy
Domaine de Vilvert, 78352 Jouy-en-Josas CEDEX, France
Philippe.Auclair@jouy.inra.fr
tel +33 1 34 65 26 95, fax +33 1 34 65 24 03