Re: define Info's "dir"?

From: gebser
Subject: Re: define Info's "dir"?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:35:53 -0400 (EDT)

The solution I was looking for has nothing to do with Info.

When I do "C-x f" to visit a file, I am prompted to enter the name of
the file.  In the prompt (in the minibuffer) is the default-directory
already specified for me.  This default-directory, however, is the one
for the current buffer.  Instead, I would like a command which overrides
the default-directory for the current buffer when I do "C-x f" to visit
a file,

To explain the same thing another way....  When I do "M-x cd" I'm
prompted for the default-directory.  But this sets this variable for the
current buffer only.  I would like to do, say "M-x gcd", and enter the
name of a directory which would set, say, global-default-directory which
would persist for the entire emacs sesssion or until I change it to
something else.  Then, no matter what is the current buffer's
default-directory, if I do "C-x f" to visit a file, the prompt will
specify the global-default-directory.

So you see, it has nothing to do with Info.