Per-directory customizations?

From: Roy Smith
Subject: Per-directory customizations?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:30:28 -0400

Is there any way to do customizations on a per-directory basis?

For example, I've got java project which lives in ~/dev/foo.  Anytime I
run M-X compile anywhere inside the ~/dev/foo hierarchy, I want the
command run to be "cd ~/dev/foo; ant".  I don't want to just set
compile-command in my .emacs file, because the right command varies
depending on which project (i.e. directory subtree) I'm in.

Is there any way to do this?  I'm running GNU Emacs 21.2.1.