Re: How to include original

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: How to include original
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 17:42:40 -0500

John King <kingjohn@sverige.freeshell.org> writes:

> Hi !  Sorry if this is a double posting.

It's a repeat.  Did you read the replies you've already gotten?

> I am trying to use emacs on a UNIX server in order to send
> email. When I get an email and reply, people complain that they
> don't see their originial email message to me ... and so have a
> tougher time remembering what they said that I am replying to.
>
> Can someone help me with this. I would like to set up I guess .emacs
> file so that it automatically includes their original message in my
> reply body.... I guess in quotes or something.

No, using a quote string like the > character that starts each line of
your text quoted in my reply.

> Thanks for help. I have been searching on google and also reading
> emacs tutorial and using C-h a commmands..but not sure what keywords
> to put in their.

If you are using Gnus with Emacs, Shift-F will do the job.  With other
mail interfaces (e.g. rmail), the key sequence will be different. The
Emacs tutorial on reading mail will answer the rest of your questions.
However, you may be looking for the wrong thing- you do not put
something in your .emacs file to include quoted text in your replies.