Catalog of Emacs (Lisp) functions?

From: bill
Subject: Catalog of Emacs (Lisp) functions?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:09:55 +0000 (UTC)

Where can I get a comprehensive catalog of all the "standard" Emacs
functions (such as goto-char or save-excursion or car) and global
variables?  I know that I can always give the regexp '.' to apropos,
but this just gets me a huge list of identifiers in alphabetical
order, which is not very useful.  What I want is the same identifiers
as (apropos ".") would report, but grouped according to function
(e.g. point movement, file management, etc.).  Does such a catalog
exist?

Many thanks in advance,

        -bill