Re: making contents of other programs transparent to Emacs

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: making contents of other programs transparent to Emacs
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:29:29 -0400

In article <address@hidden>,
 Joe Corneli <address@hidden> wrote:

> This seems like a hard question, and not completely Emacs-specific.
> Suppose I wanted to make the contents of e.g. an rxvt or Mozilla
> window readable to an Emacs.  What would I need to do?  The text is
> available to X (and I can copy and paste it into other programs) so
> it also seems that with more work I should be able to treat the text
> in these other programs as a read-only Emacs buffer.

As far as X is concerned, these windows are just pixels -- it doesn't
keep track of the text.  This is done by the client applications.
Copying and pasting is done by the application itself; when you use the
Copy operation, the application sends a message to the X server telling
it to put the text into the cut-buffer so that other applications can
get at it.  But there's no way for one application to force another one
to send it the contents of its window.

Barry Margolin, address@hidden
Arlington, MA