Interlocking .#filename on suspending is a problem

From: Jorgen Lundman
Subject: Interlocking .#filename on suspending is a problem
Date: 30 Sep 2004 23:55:58 -0700

Using GNU Emacs 21.1.1 or similar versions.

We use cfg_dir with Nagios which will pick up any *.cfg filenames in a
directory. The problem is if I edit a file with emacs, and have it
unsaved when I suspend, emacs creates the Interlocking symlink:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         42 Oct  1 15:19 .#file.cfg ->
root@host.7323:1095393770

This file unfortunately is seen by Nagios dynamically, and as its
nearly the same contents creates errors and breaking the live system.

I would like to either:

1) Change the name hashing function to put anything after the .cfg in
the symlink name. #.filename.cfg# (auto-save clash?)

2) Have the symlinks created somewhere entirely different. (Although,
that would remove the feature of having those generated anyway,
leading to... )

3) Disable interlocking checks all together

4) Changing suspend not to create them?

5) Changing Nagios not to see them (not for this group and I would
like to find an emacs solution anyway)

I have tried various combinations of:

make-backup-files
auto-save-list-file-name
auto-save-default
auto-save-list-file-prefix
backup-directory-alist
expand-file-name

But none of them stop or modify this behavior. Been googling for a
while
but it is hard when one finds a billion hits in Emacs manuals
everywhere :)

I could easily edit the .c to change the hash, but I would assume
there is a .emacs solution somewhere?