Re: How to prevent font-lock (& jit-lock etc.) from refontifying?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to prevent font-lock (& jit-lock etc.) from refontifying?
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:20:05 GMT

> In Emacs 20, I only had to worry about lazy-lock doing this, and function
> lazy-lock-after-fontify-buffer was available to convince lazy-lock not to
> undo things behind my back. I could just call that function after
> highlighting, to fool lazy-lock into thinking there was no need to
> rehighlight. This function, lock-after-fontify-buffer, is still available in
> Emacs 21.

Such a hack will not prevent future re-highlighting (e.g. if you later on
make a change on the same line).  If that's good enough, then just do:

   (let ((inhibit-modification-hooks t))
     (put-text-property start end 'face 'toto))

> Please don't reply that I should just use font-lock-keywords and let
> font-lock do the highlighting. Assume that there is a reason I want to add
> some-face as the 'face property using put-text-property. Thanks.

Without knowing the reason why you want to do it, I can't give you a good
answer.

        Stefan