Yanking text between nested terminals...

From: Conrad Barski
Subject: Yanking text between nested terminals...
Date: 27 Oct 2004 18:13:11 -0700

Here's something that has me stumped...

I'm running text-mode linux emacs (no X-windows) on one box and I am
ssh'd into another box in an emacs through the terminal emulator. This
ssh session is running another emacs nested inside of the local emacs.
Everything is working fine, but today, for the first time, I needed to
paste some text from the local emacs to the remote emacs... copying
and then yanking into the terminal (and yes, I realize I need to C-c
out of the terminal to perform the yank) seems to work ok, except it
is an illusion, as this only causes the text to be yanked into the
buffer, not into the actual terminal, the the remote host never
receives the text and scrambling the buffer text for the terminal.

What I'm wondering is if there's a special yank command that simulates
the keystrokes one-by-one into the terminal (like is often available
in X-windows terminals as a feature) and will let me push the text to
the remote machine...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Conrad Barski, M.D.