Re: line drawing characters

From: Greg Hill
Subject: Re: line drawing characters
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:49:30 -0700

At 6:04 PM -0600 10/28/04, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Greg Hill wrote:
 I am using emacs (GNU Emacs 21.2.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit)) on
 a unix system under X.

Not as good as Emacs 21.3 or 21.3.50 (CVS), but should be recent enuf.

 I would like to create some simple line drawings by mixing line-drawing
 characters along with ordinary text.  Surely the One True Editor is
 capable of that, but I haven't been able to glean any useful information
 on how to proceed from the Gnu Emacs Manual (Fifteenth Edition), the Gnu
 Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, or anything I could find doing a Goolge

1. These line drawing characters must belong to some character set
   e.g. Unicode

2. Once you've identified the character set you want to use, you need to
   figure out which Emacs coding system supports it.  Then you specify
   that coding system with `C-x RET c' when you edit your buffer/file.

3. Finally, you'll need how to input those characters while you're
   editing.  If your keyboard can enter them directly, `C-x RET k'
   should handle it; but you may need to install LEIM and rebuild Emacs
   and use `C-\'.

Thanks.  So far what I have is...

1.  It appears as if U2500-2575 contains the glyphs I am after.

2.  I switched to a computer that has emacs 21.3.1with leim support.

3. The variable 'charset-list tells me that there is a character set named "mule-unicode-2500-33FF", which sounds like it's probably a pretty good bet.

4. The function 'find-coding-system-for-charsets tells me there is a coding system named "emacs-mule" that can encode characters in both mule-unicode-2500-33FF and ascii.

5. I can use `C-x RET c' to create a new file in a buffer using the emacs-mule coding system.

Now, what I can't figure out is:

a.  How do I find out what character codes correspond to which glyphs?

b. How to I get those glyphs to actually appear on my screen? I tried eval-ing the following fragment of code

(let ((ic 0))
  (while (< ic 10000)
    (if (char-valid-p ic)
        (insert-char ic 1))
    (setq ic (1+ ic))))

with my "emacs-mule" buffer as my current buffer, and all I get is regular ascii, a lot of glyphs I am not interested in, and a lot of empty boxes which are probably where the glyphs I am interested in should be.

Any more tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.