Re: emacs for everything?

From: Henrik S. Hansen
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:07:39 +0100

floyd@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:

> Can't you do better?

Pot, meet kettle.

> I would like to know how you use your fingers and brain to
> remember the _current_ time on a clock that you do not display?
> (As just one very trivial example of how limited your described
> environment is in a real world.)

Do you realize that not everyone works like you do?  I can go weeks
without starting X, but it is not because I think it's overly complex.
I simply don't feel the need for that functionality.

There's also the issue of shifting focus in X -- most wm require you to
move windows, etc.  Often, a task bar also takes up some screen space.
And so on.

Of course, some wm's, like ratpoison (which I use), are more minimalist;
these are typically used by people that want a console environment in X.
Some are highly configurable (fvwm2).  Some are loaded with eye candy
and fanciness (enlightenment).  And then there's GNOME and KDE,
providing a full user environment.

If anything, the many different window managers shows that people want
to work in different ways.  This is the Unix philosophy.

--
Henrik S. Hansen     http://freecode.dk/~hsh/
Computer science (software engineering) student