Re: Efficient Emacs usage?

From: Floyd L. Davidson
Subject: Re: Efficient Emacs usage?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:47:11 -0900

FCC <fcc509@netscape.net> wrote:

>I am wondering if I am missing anything of Emacs that could be of great
>use to me

For me there seems to be a never ending stream of new things to
find that emacs (and computers in general) can do that makes my
life fun.  And since both emacs and I change slowly over time, it
seems to be theoretically impossible that I'll ever reach the point
where I am *not* missing something (and enjoying finding something).

>(sorry, gnus does not count for me, although I am very much
>aware of its popularity among Emacs users, because probably it would be
>more efficient for me if I did not have to check or send e-mails and
>also spend less time on the internet).

I do not understand what you are saying there.  What it appears
to say doesn't make sense.  To put it mildly, Gnus is the most
efficient and effective Usenet *and* email user agent available.

If you currently deal with more than say a couple hundred emails
a day, moving to Gnus from just about anything else will result
in a significant time savings.  On the other hand, even if you
don't deal with that many emails...  use Gnus and you can then
go out and subscribe dozens of mailing lists, even if some of
them are of marginal value, just because it can be done
*without* putting you into an email bind that wastes your time.

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com