Re: emacs for everything?

From: William Xuuu
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:51:11 +0800

floyd@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:

> I simply do not understand the sanity in what you have
> described!  That is a straight jacket!
>
> Except I'll grant that fonts in X are a problem.  I've spent

This is one of the key reason that i'm sticking to console. ;-)

> hours and hours finding fonts (for any given screen resolution)
> that provide a nice, readable screen under both (x)emacs and in
> an xterm.  But it is *definitely* worth it.
>
> The "black background, good for eyes" comment is correct, but
> misplaced.  Under X I use goldenrod2 as the foreground color
> along with black for the background, and it is much like the old
> "amber" monochrome monitors of years ago.  Which is to say, even
> better than white on black, for the eyes!
>
> But what you are missing by using a console is the extreme
> versatility provided by a good window manager under X.  Your
> message headers indicate that you are using Linux, which means
> you have to switch between a console and X with a rather clunky

Yeah, i admit it a weakness. Not a big deal, though. Most of the time i'm
under console.

> mechanism, and have extremely limited use of screen space when
> in the console.  What I do, using fvwm2 as a window manager, is
> set up a desktop manager with a 1x15 matrix of virtual desktops.

You are so smart to master 15 desktops! I know fvwm supports multiple
virtual desktops. But I only use one desktop.

> The desktop manager is on the left side of the screen, and is
> sticky.  Hence I need about 1/8 inch of the left side to be
> clear in order to use it with a mouse (and none of it needs to
> be clear to use the keyboard to switch desktops).

I hate that. I'd love Emacs to occupy the whole screen. And i don't like to
use mouse.

> At this moment I have 4 web (opera) browsers open in four
> different desktops (all as different users).  I have at least a
> dozen instances of an xterm running in various windows.  At a
> glance I can see which desktop I am in, and with the click of a
> mouse I can move to a different one, or I can use control-arrow
> keys to scroll up or down through the list.  (If at any time I
> want a window in any desktop moved to the same desktop as
> another window, that is an almost instant operation requiring
> about three clicks of the mouse to do.)
>
> Consider the effort that you have to go through on a console if
> you want to switch to a web browser.  I can select any of four
> of them with a single mouse click.  And I could have them all
> stacked up in the same desktop in short order too, which simply
> cannot be done on a console.

If i don't care the pictures, w3m is pretty good for me. BTW, why don't you
use tabs in web browsing?

--
William Xuuu