How to make alt key work for meta in X-emacs?

From: Roy Smith
Subject: How to make alt key work for meta in X-emacs?
Date: 29 Nov 2004 15:55:44 -0500

I'm running GNU Emacs 21.3.1.  In a normal text window, the Alt key on
my PC keyboard works like meta.  If I hold down Shift, Alt, and
> all at the same time, I run end-of-buffer.  This is what I want.

In X, however, emacs ignores the Alt key.  I need to type ESC, then
Shift and >, which I don't like.  What do I need to do to get the X
flavor to recognize Alt as a Meta key?

Interestingly enough, if I type C-h, C, Shift-Alt->, it doesn't even
seem to recognize it as a keystroke.  It's still sitting there
prompting me "Describe key briefly:"