Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?

From: D P Schreber
Subject: Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?
Date: 14 Dec 2004 16:11:02 GMT

On 2004-12-14, Gian Uberto Lauri <GianUberto.Lauri@eng.it> wrote:
>BM> If you don't care for Apple's GUI, why are you even bothering to run OS
>BM> X instead of GNU/Linux?  It seems strange to use a Mac and then
>BM> essentially ignore its distinguishing feature.
>
> Maybe due better  HW support ?

He could run darwin in that case.  As Barry says, it's pretty strange to
buy a copy of osx if you don't like the windowing system.

All this is somewhat beside the point though.  The carbon support code
is part of gnu emacs, so OF COURSE this is an appropriate forum for
discussing it.  Otoh it's not the right forum for discussing the pros
and cons of different window systems in general, which is why I never
raised that topic.  We have our UT friend to thank for that.  All I said
was if the OP had only been interested in getting a windowed emacs
running locally (which is how I understood his original post), then the
best way to do that would be to use emacs' support for the local window
system.  Seems pretty uncontroversial to me.

> The big problem  in Mac OS X  is that cp and othe  file system related
> utilities are broken since they do not consider multi-fork files.

Now we're way off topic, but since you raised it: very few applications
use resource forks anymore, and file management tools are readily
available for the handful of cases in which they are used.  If that's
the big problem with osx, it's pretty much been solved already.