Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:47:48 -0600

D P Schreber <schreberdp@rayban.net> writes:

> On 2004-12-15, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
>
>> I've used both- I use the X11 version because it has a much smaller
>> footprint
>
> The resident size is smaller, but of course you have to be running
> the X11 server, which has considerable costs of its own.  If I'm
> running an X11 server anyway, I'll usually run the X11 emacs.  If
> I'm not, I'll run the carbon emacs for sure. I definitely can't see
> running an X11 server just to get a windowed emacs; that really
> doesn't make any sense to me at all.

That's a good point.  I leave X11 running all the time because I use
several applications that call for it.  However, I should have been
more specific and said "disk footprint."  I've got an old iMac with a
4GB drive and the Carbon Emacs install just takes up more space than I
can afford.

>> - and haven't found any functional differences- except that the
>> scroll wheel works under the Aqua environment but not under X11.
>
> Scroll-wheel works ok for me in X11 emacs 21.3.50.1.

I can't get it to work for whatever reason.  Not a big deal.  I have a
two button mouse with scroll wheel, and X11 Emacs does accept clicking
for scroll wheel for the middle mouse button, which is more important
to me.