Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?

From: D P Schreber
Subject: Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?
Date: 15 Dec 2004 12:35:16 GMT

On 2004-12-15, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
>> Scroll-wheel works ok for me in X11 emacs 21.3.50.1.
>
> I can't get it to work for whatever reason.  Not a big deal.

No, not a big deal, but it's handy, and it really should work.  Is
(fboundp 'mwheel-install) true?  If so, run (mwheel-install).  If not, I
guess you need find a copy of mwheel and load/require it.  Used to be
that XFree had a 5-button mouse model, with the two scrolling actions
treated as mouse-4 and mouse-5.  I assume that's still true. So in emacs
it's just a matter of binding those buttons to calls to scroll-down  and
scroll-up.

> I have a two button mouse with scroll wheel, and X11 Emacs does accept
> clicking for scroll wheel for the middle mouse button, which is more
> important to me.

Middle-click is pretty crucial everywhere in X11 :)