Re: Carbon Emacs binding to Enter key

From: James Davidson
Subject: Re: Carbon Emacs binding to Enter key
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:53:21 -0800

On 12/20/04 6:41 PM, Tiago Maduro-Dias wrote:
Hi!

I've recently "discovered" the usefulness of the enter key (the one next to the arrow keys and the space-bar), at least on my laptop's keyboard, as an alternative to the regular return key. But I also seem to have encountered an interesting issue (read "feature"?) with Carbon Emacs 21.3.50 (on Mac OSX Panther).

When I press the key, the event seems to be attached to C-c. In fact, pressing it twice will result in the obvious C-c C-c and C-h c ends up with "Describe key briefly: C-c-" on my minibuffer (waiting for another event).

If I run both the original emacs-21.2.1 or emacs-21.3.50 from Terminal.app (with either emacs -nw or emacs -q -nw), the enter key will behave as expected (by me at least). If I use the faithful xterm, then the behaviour just described for Carbon Emacs happens again. This makes sense to me, since Terminal.app is interpreting the strokes, and uses the smilingly standard macosx interpretation for the particular key.

So, how can I go about forcing the key to bind to what I want it to? (character 13, newline, or something of the sort)?

Thank you in advance,

Tiago Maduro-Dias.

You may need a package like ucontrol
        <http://www.gnufoo.org/ucontrol/uControl1.4.4.dmg>

Most Mac OSX Emacs users use this to rebind the caps lock key into control.

It also supports rebinding of the enter key into other things; a common usage is to rebind it to 'fn', so that page-up and page-down can be done with one hand.

-Jim