Re: emacs for everything?

From: kurtz
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:25:02 +0100

Ravi Uday escribe:
> Yea right, it works, but how does one start the server to enable this
> client to connect to it. Do you have a procedure which could be easily
> followed ?

I set in my .bashrc something like alias emacs="`emacswrapper.sh`"
where emacswrapper.sh is the attached script.

Here, dtemacs is a nice script provided with the Debian gnuserv
package. Google for it if not using Debian. It tries to contact emacs
with gnuclient, starting a new emacs if there is no answer. Thanks to
my emacswrapper.sh script, whenever I call `emacs', the correct
instance for me is executed, this is, `emacs -nw' if connected by ssh,
`dtemacs' if on Linux with X running, `gnuclientw' if on a cygwin
environment and a bare `emacs' in any other case.

Works for me, I hope is also useful for you. Of course, YMMV!
--
http colon slash slash kurtz dot blogsite dot org