Re: aspell and emacs

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: aspell and emacs
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:43:23 +0000

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 12:31:27PM +0200, Ehud Karni wrote:
>-- 8< --
> An example for how to set the it to use the Hebrew dictionary is:
>
>     (require 'ispell)
>
>     ;; Tell emacs what constitutes a word.
>     (add-to-list 'ispell-dictionary-alist
>                  '("hebrew8"
>                    "[a-zA-Z\340-\372]"                 ;Latin and Hebrew
>                    "[^a-zA-Z\340-\372]"
>                    "['\"]" t ("-B") nil iso-8859-8))   ;Hebrew charset
>
>     (setq ispell-dictionary "hebrew8")
>     (ispell-change-dictionary "hebrew8")
>     (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary "hebrew8")
>
>     ;; Adding the Hebrew dictionary to ispell menu
>     (if (fboundp 'define-key-after)
>         (define-key-after ispell-menu-map [ispell-select-hebrew8]
>           '("Select Hebrew8 Dict" . (lambda()
>                                       (interactive)
>                                       (ispell-change-dictionary "hebrew8")))
>           'american))

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't help me as I was
looking specifically for help with aspell (and *not* ispell). The
greek dictionaries for ispell are outdated and I can't make them to
work with ispell anyway :(. There are greek dictionaries for aspell
and they work pretty good, so I wanted to use them in emacs.

I tried the solution you propose and it didn't work. The name of the
greek dictionary is "el" so when I tried your solution when I try to
spell check a buffer I get

  Starting new Ispell process...
  ispell-init-process: Error: The file "/usr/lib/aspell/el" is not in
  the proper format.

Now the funny thing is that after that if I evaluate

     (setq ispell-dictionary "american")
     (ispell-change-dictionary "american")
     (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary "american")

and try to ispell a buffer I get a very similar message

  Starting new Ispell process...
  ispell-init-process: Error: The file
  "/usr/lib/aspell/english-med-only" is not in the proper format.

However if, instead, I use the menu and select the default dictionary
everything works just fine. When I do the same with the "el"
dictionary, ie if I set it to be the default and then select "default"
from the menu, I get an other error message

  ispell-process-line: Ispell misalignment: word `Faut' point 722;
  probably incompatible versions

Probably I am doing something stupid.

Thanks anyway
N.A.
--
Charity in capitalism is like urinating to extinguish a forest fire.
    -- Neon Absentius