Re: Persistent white background

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: Re: Persistent white background
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:00:22 +0100

Hallöchen!

> [...]
>
> Have you tried to set X defaults this way?
>
> Emacs*background:    LightSteelBlue
> Emacs*foreground:    DarkGreen

Yes, I tried this variant, too, without any effect.

> Could you check with strings what GNU Emacs expects as X ressources?
>
> strings /usr/bin/emacs-21.3.50 | egrep '(back|fore)ground'

Probably it would not make sense anymore because I switched from GTK
to Motif.  I use it only for the pop-ups anyway (menu is off), so
this was the sensible thing to do.  BTW, even Athena, which I had
tried before Motif, didn't work properly: My .emacs sets the initial
size of the frame explicitly, and the "difference" between default
size and my size was left white and unprinted after startup.  But
with Motif it seems to work finally.

Tschö,
Torsten.