problems with RCS, vc.el and Tru64 UNIX

From: Thomas Meyer
Subject: problems with RCS, vc.el and Tru64 UNIX
Date: 19 Jan 2005 03:14:18 -0800

Hello,

I have the following annoying problem with Emacs 21.3.4 on Tru64 UNIX
(5.1B) when making use of the RCS integration in vc.el:

When a file under RCS version control is checked out, and then Emacs
is started, and the file is loaded into Emacs, the attempt to edit the
file and check it in within Emacs (C-x v v) ends with the message
"Revert to master version?".

When I say "No", nothing happens (but I wanted to checkin that file!),
when I say "Yes" my edits are lost (not a good choice, either).

The expected result is that Emacs prompts me for a Change Comment.

I spent some hours looking into the problem, but now I'm at a point,
where I need some expert advice.

-the very same actions run fine on Windows 2000 with 21.3.50.8 and on
 Redhat Linux Enterprise WS V3, which has Emacs 21.3.1

-all of these Emacs installations have the same version for vc.el
 (1.311.4.9) and vc-rcs.el (1.21.4.2)

-the problem appears to be in Emacs incorrectly getting the
 modification status vc-workfile-unchanged-p in line 1147 of vc.el

-I checked that the problem is not within the init Files (-q
 --no-site-file)

-the only pertinent finding I saw when comparing the different
 installations was that the output of "rcsdiff --brief" is different,
 e.g.

Tru64 UNIX

Files /tmp/T0DYBKaK and a.txt differ

RH Linux

Files a.txt     2005/01/19 11:05:38     1.1 and a.txt   2005/01/19 11:05:44
differ

Windows:

Files a.txt     2005/01/19 11:07:15     1.1 and a.txt   2005/01/19 11:07:28
differ

Might it be that this different behaviour?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards, Thomas Meyer