Re: umlauts (8bit characters) input

From: Hendrik Sattler
Subject: Re: umlauts (8bit characters) input
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:50:33 +0100

Hi,

lisp/term/linux.el did some more than nothing:
;; The Linux console handles Latin-1 by default.
(unless (terminal-coding-system)
  (set-terminal-coding-system 'iso-latin-1))

;; Make Latin-1 input characters work, too.
;; Meta will continue to work, because the kernel
;; turns that into Escape.
(let ((value (current-input-mode)))
  ;; The third arg only matters in that it is not t or nil.
  (set-input-mode (nth 0 value) (nth 1 value) 'iso-latin-1 (nth 3 value)))

I just copied it over to my ~/.emacs and it works now. So, to correct David,
emacs does obviously NOT follow locales idea of character set (at least not
for everything).
Maybe in my previous installation, I just had TERM fixed to "linux" to solve
this, I just don't remember...

But you are right: maybe emacs gets to point where it magically
"just works".

HS