Re: shorter form of frequently-seen lisp idiom?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: shorter form of frequently-seen lisp idiom?
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:20:10 +0100

"rgb" <rbielaws@i1.net> writes:

>> Rule of thumb: if your solution uses `eval' it's either buggy or
> clunky.
>
> Interesting, I've never heard this.
> My elisp isn't all that great yet so I looked for instances where
> I use it.

I use `eval' only when not using it would be tantamount to
implementing a metacircular lisp interpreter.

> Is there a collection of more such tips someplace?

ISTR that some tips like that (i.e. using `funcall' or `apply' instead
of `eval') are in the (old?) FAQ for comp.lang.lisp. But it's rather
for common lisp.

    Oliver
--
4 Ventôse an 213 de la Révolution