Re: Compiling Emacs with GTK

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Compiling Emacs with GTK
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:02:57 +0100

nfreimann <niels_freimann@yahoo.de> writes:

> David Hansen wrote:
>
>>Is it that difficult to ./configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk ?
>
> David, imagine for a moment, that there are *some* users out there
> who are not familiar with "C" development, having not all
> development libraries installed, or are otherwise unwilling doing
> time consuming builds.

So why should the developers be more willing to do that sort of thing
than the users of the software?

Imagine for a moment that there are *some* people out there without
the same sort of income as you are.  Does that mean that they are
entitled to the contents of your fridge, just like you feel that users
should be entitled to the time of the developers, time they are
neither willing to spend themselves nor willing to pay for?

> If there is only a windows cvs emacs binary available then these
> users clearly will prefer windows. Thats the price to pay for
> arrogance and ignorance.

Well, I could hardly imagine anyone more suitable for quoting prices
on that.

Anyway, imagine for a moment that there are *some* users out there who
actually do immerse themselves into what it takes to be a productive
member of the community, preparing careful bug reports, helping with
reading the manual, suggesting useful features.  Would it not be an
extreme disservice to those users if the developers wasted their time
on pampering for the transitory needs of the ungrateful, thus never
getting the next release out?