Re: Changing $HOME

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Changing $HOME
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:08:34 +0100

"Shug Boabby" <Shug.Boabby@gmail.com> writes:

> Pascal wrote:
>> Make it setenv
>
> i already tried that (see my first post)

That's strange. If I read the code of `expand-file-name' correctly,
setenving HOME should be the right thing to do for what you want, as
it determines the expansion of "~" via a call to a C function:
egetenv ("HOME") -- which does the obvious. And in fact, `setenv'
works for me.

Could you explain, in what way this does not work?  What directory do
you see, if you type `C-x d ~ RET'?

If not at the right one, please start Emacs like this:

emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(setenv "HOME" "/User/shug/GNU")'

and post the value of the variable `process-environment' (which you
can get via `C-h v').

    Oliver
--
15 Ventôse an 213 de la Révolution