Re: INFORMAL SURVEY: blinking cursor

From: August Karlstrom
Subject: Re: INFORMAL SURVEY: blinking cursor
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:38:50 +0100

On tis, 2005-03-08 at 09:23 +0100, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> * have you tried using emacs w/ the blinking box cursor?
Yes.

> * do you find it uncomfortable?
No. A blinking cursor is easier to locate and sets it apart from the
contents of the buffer.

> * do you use another shape cursor (such as vertical bar)?
>   if so, which?
Yes, a vertical bar (with default width). That characters are inserted
to the left of the box cursor is actually something you learn, it's not
as intuitive as the bar shape. (Still I'm not quite satisfied with the
bar cursor, read my previous post `Inverse video with bar cursor').

> * how do the shape and the blinking affect your (dis)comfort?
>   (i'm looking for correlation info, such as:
>     shape: box, blinking: on, i-find-it: unbearable
>     shape: vertical bar, blinking: on, i-find-it: no-worries
>   in the response.)
I prefer a blinking cursor regardless of its shape.

> * is cursor blinking a feature you would be inclined to
>   change during an editing session?  if so, how often?
No, why would I?

> * how do the number of frames visible and the blinking affect
>   your (dis)comfort?  (again, looking for correlation info.)
I rarely use more than one frame and I can't see why multiple frames
with blinking cursor should affect (dis)comfort.

--
August