Re: switching between locales (esp. iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15)

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: switching between locales (esp. iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:41:01 -0700

Tapani Tarvainen wrote:> Is there a similar simple way to change keyboard behaviour?
Now, if emacs is started with locale (LC_CTYPE) set to
some ISO-8859-15 locale the euro key on my keyboard
works as it should, and keys corresponding to characters
not in ISO-8859-15 do not, whereas with ISO-8859-1
locale the reverse is true.
- Actually I just found a good (and with afterthought
obvious) workaround: set LC_CTYPE to some UTF-8 locale,
and both keys work (and combined with suitable settings
for coding system preference order it won't even cause files to be saved by utf-8 by default either).
So this is just idle curiosity at this point, but I'd
still like to know is there a simple way to effectively change emacs behaviour as if locale had been changed
without restarting it?

Does `C-x RET l' work?

--
Kevin Rodgers