Re: add-menu-button: Xemacs to emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: add-menu-button: Xemacs to emacs
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:42:57 +0100

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> Hello:
>
> I am in the process of transitioning from Xemacs to emacs.
> I have code that uses the xemacs 'add-menu-button function.
> Emacs does not recognize this function.
>
> 1)The simple question is:
>     What is the corresponding emacs function to add a menu
>      (and items) to the menubar

Example:
  (easy-menu-define preview-menu LaTeX-mode-map
    "This is the menu for preview-latex."
    '("Preview"
      "Generate previews"
      ["(or toggle) at point" preview-at-point]
      ["for environment" preview-environment]
      ["for section" preview-section]
      ["for region" preview-region (preview-mark-active)]
      ["for buffer" preview-buffer]
      ["for document" preview-document]
      "---"
      "Remove previews"
      ["at point" preview-clearout-at-point]
      ["from section" preview-clearout-section]
      ["from region" preview-clearout (preview-mark-active)]
      ["from buffer" preview-clearout-buffer]
      ["from document" preview-clearout-document]
      "---"
      "Turn preamble cache"
      ["on" preview-cache-preamble]
      ["off" preview-cache-preamble-off]
      "---"
      ("Customize"
       ["Browse options"
        (customize-group 'preview)]
       ["Extend this menu"
        (easy-menu-add-item
         nil '("Preview")
         (customize-menu-create 'preview))])
      ["Read documentation" preview-goto-info-page]
      ["Report Bug" preview-report-bug]))

And then use

  (easy-menu-add preview-menu LaTeX-mode-map)

when you are initializing the mode.  While this does nothing in Emacs,
it will add the menu to the menubar when you are using XEmacs.  The
easy-menu interface works for both Emacsen.

> 2)The larger question is:
>     Is there a "checklist" of emacs/xemacs discrepancies?

> 3)When evaluating a call to 'add-menu-button is emacs/*scratch*
>     I'm getting the following error message:
>       "Autoloading failed to define function debug"
>    It appears that a 'debug function needs to be defined in the
>     emacs startup process. (debug on error is enabled)
>    How may I enable this 'debug function?

This sounds like your Emacs installation is terribly broken.  If you
are lucky, you just have something very bad in your .emacs (like
(setq load-path '("my-personal-directory"))
which would replace the system load-path).

If this error message persists even if you start Emacs with

emacs -q
M-x debug RET

then you might need to reinstall Emacs.  If it goes away in that case,
you have to find what causes the problem in your .emacs.