Re: Starting emacs without initial frame

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Starting emacs without initial frame
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:56:59 -0500

> Kind of stupid that, isn't it?  I vaguely recall that Gerd successfully
> changed Emacs to map the initial frame only _after_ .emacs was read, but
> people who did weird things in their .emacs complained so this eminently
> reasonable behavior was dropped for "compatibility".

My own local Emacs only creates the initial frame after reading .emacs ;-)
It indeed creates a few incompatibilities (e.g. startup.el can't properly
set the default of normal-erase-is-backspace before reading the .emacs
because it needs to query the X server for that, but the connection is not
yet opened).

> It seems to me that it would be much nicer to have Emacs map the frame
> only after .emacs is read, and add a (map-frame) function or something
> that people could use to force it to map earlier.

People may be annoyed at the "loading foo..." messages on stdout, tho.
Also my code currently breaks --debug-init.

        Stefan