Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:03:10 +0100

PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:16:24 +0100, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Emacs has not shown itself to accommodate systematic corporate
>> involvement well.  It will as far as I can see always be dependent
>> on dedicated individuals instead of corporate support, simply
>> because you can't make a business plan involving Emacs development
>> and timelines.
>
> I see. In that case there really is no obvious benefit of devoting
> resources to make Emacs more newbie friendly.

You have forgotten my point that _every_ Emacs user tends to be a
newbie in a large part of its all-encompassing extent.

> BTW, it seems Eclipse will fill this space instead of Emacs. It is
> universal tool platform - an open extensible IDE for anything and
> nothing in particular.

I can't speak for Eclipse since I have neither tried and seen it.
Nevertheless, I don't doubt that Emacs retains appeal and usefulness
to a lot of people.

For example, I can't remember anybody ever touting using Eclipse as a
development platform for LaTeX, and that is one of the most important
applications of Emacs for me.