Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:52:22 +0200

Olive <address@hidden> writes:

> Just a question: what version of emacs have all these feature. I use
> emacs 21.3 (which I think is almost the same as 21.4, the latest
> stable release) and I see none of these WYSIWYG feature nor any
> information about them (I still use the standard TeX mode because i
> prefer it to auctex).

We'll get you all some time or other.

> That said, some of these feature appears to be annoying: I like to
> see the source code that I type and not something else.

You'd probably consider it schizophrenic, but that's why I have
font-lock-mode turned off, while still using preview-latex
<URL:> extensively.  And so far I
have resisted demands to make preview-latex act on its own: it works
only on explicit command.  You can leave the messiest half-baked wrong
syntax at any point of time in any place in the buffer, and no
automatism is going to throw color or errors or strange displays at