Re: browse-url

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: browse-url
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 04:11:10 -0500

   Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

   > Both of these functions appear to require starting a new firefox. (??)

   > (defun browse-url-firefox (url &optional new-window )
   >   ;;new-window ignored
   > "Ask the firefox browser to  load URL."
   >  (apply 'call-process "firefox" nil
   >          0 nil (list url)))
   >
   > ;;;
   > (defun browse-url-firefox (url &optional new-window)
   >   (call-process "firefox" nil 0 nil url))

   Perhaps they do not.  I just did:

   'M-x browse-url' twice, inputting two different urls, and still have
   just one instance of firefox visible on the screen.  I can display the
   two different pages by clicking the navigation toolbar arrows.

   Before trying these functions, I could find no way by setting emacs
   variables to start firefox if it was not already running.

   There's probably a way, but I didn't find it. :(

Well, I don't know what's different out our environments, but for me,
evaluating

(progn (call-process "firefox" nil 0 nil "http://www.gnu.org";)
       (call-process "firefox" nil 0 nil "http://www.google.com";))

gives me one firefox window browsing gnu.org, and one of those idiot
boxes that I hate telling me to choose a new user (i.e. if no firefox
window is open; if a window is open, 2 X idiot box).