Re: block based selection

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: block based selection
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:37:44 +0000

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 04:04:55PM +0200, Uwe Mayer wrote:
> Hi,
> how do you change the way emacs selects regions of text? Currently it works
> line based, but I need to select a rectangular region from within a text.
> Can anyone help me with how to change the selection mode?

Technically speaking, Emacs doesn't really select a region, it just
remembers two positions, point and mark, on the buffer. There are
commands that operate on the whole region between point and mark, such
as the usual kill, yank etc, but also there are command that operate
on the rectangle defined by the point and mark. Such commands usually
start with C-r, for example
 C-r C-k  kill rectangle
 C-r C-y  yank rectangle
Have a look at the info page:
(info "(emacs)Rectangles") <--- hit C-x C-e here.