Re: emacs on freebsd, space limitation

From: Angelina Carlton
Subject: Re: emacs on freebsd, space limitation
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:48:19 -0400

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 05:25:43PM +0100, Glenn Morris wrote:

> B) If you can't use A), here is an ugly method that works. Someone who
> understands the build process better (ie at all) could probably
> suggest something more elegant. This needs a full 50MB, so transfer
> all other files out of the way first.
>
> 1. On some other machine, untar emacs-21.4a source. 70MB, ack!
>
> 2. Delete a bunch of stuff you can live without:
>
> for f in `find lisp -name "*.elc"`; do
>     rm ${f%c}    # bash shell syntax
> done
>
> find . -name "ChangeLog*" -exec rm '{}' ';'
>
> rm -rf nt msdos vms mac
>
> 3. Now down to 46MB, but need more space to build, so have to get rid of
> some other stuff that it would be nice to keep:
>
> rm -rf etc/* man/*.tex* info
>
> 4. Find some way to get size of lisp directory down to ~ 13MB. Eg:
> cd lisp
> rm -rf gnus obsolete play mail calendar eshell emulation net toolbar
>
> Actually, rather than deleting these, you can move them somewhere else
> and transfer them to the build machine later if you want them.
>
> 5. Now at ~ 25 MB, transfer to build machine.
>
> 6. ./configure
> make src
>
> 49 MB, phew!
>
> 7. Tidy up a bit:
>
> find . -name "*.[cho]" -exec rm '{}' ';'
> ( cd etc; ln -f DOC-21.4.1 DOC )
> strip src/emacs
>
> Leaves 26 MB. Run it as ./src/emacs (ignoring complaints), don't try
> installing it.
>
> At this point, you can move back some of the files from step 4, if you
> want them.

Wow, this is alot of work :-) but I feel working with an editor you
dont like is counterproductive so if all else fails I will try that
route. I don't have any BSD machines to use as I prefer Debian
so method A wont work for me.

> C) Insult the sysadmin's (wo)manhood for failing to provide emacs on
> the system.
>
> D) alt.religion.emacs can probably supply a mob with pitchforks and
> torches to help "persuade" the syadmin to install emacs.

He has emailed the sysadmin and ask for /tmp space and waits a reply,
he also asked them to install it directly for him to make things easy
and I told him to diplomatically hint that he can spend his money with
another host if they dont want to install emacs for him.

I know for me personally, if I had learned emacs from the get go,
things would have been easier, so this is why I dont want him to get
used to ee or pico and miss out on all the fun that emacs has to offer.

--
Angelina Carlton