Simple elisp problem with equal

From: exits funnel
Subject: Simple elisp problem with equal
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:35:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm trying to add some code to my .emacs which will
allow me to share the file across my windows and linux
boxes.  To make a long story short, I want this:

(equal system-type "gnu/linux")

to evaluate to true but instead it evaluates to nil.
C-h v system-type indicates its value is "gnu/linux".
I've spent a fair amount of time reading the lisp
manual which has been very informative, but I still
can't get this simple issue sorted out :)

One other (less important) question.  Why does:

(princ system-type)

evaluate to "gnu/linuxgnu/linux" rather than just
"gnu/linux"?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-exits