Listing completions automatically

From: PT
Subject: Listing completions automatically
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 19:39:02 +0200

I'd like to offer the user a list from which she has to select an item. Since the user doesn't know what items are on the list the possible items should be shown immediately.

I tried using completing-read, but it seems the user has to press TAB at least once to have the list of possible completions actually diplayed.

Is there way to show the list immediately?