Re: Case sensitive regexp

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: Case sensitive regexp
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 04:39:33 +0000

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 04:46:19AM +0200, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > how can I make sure that the regular expressions are case sensitive?
> > By looking at the manual I thought that if the expression contains
> > a capital letter then it automatically is case sensitive. However
> > evaluating (looking-at "A") when the point is before an "a" returns
> > true.
>
> What regular expressions?
>

>From the elisp manual

,----
|- Function: looking-at regexp

|    This function determines whether the text in the current buffer

|    directly following point matches the regular expression REGEXP.

`----

So, since the regular expression "A" matches only the string "A" I
assumed that (looking-at "A") would return true only if the character
following point was "A".

> M-x apropos RET case-fold RET
>
> -->
> isearch-toggle-case-fold
> toggle-case-fold-search
>
> default-case-fold-search

Thanks. That did it.

--
Charity in capitalism is like urinating to extinguish a forest fire.
    -- Neon Absentius