Re: Using replace-regexp doesn't remove newlines?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Using replace-regexp doesn't remove newlines?
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:42:06 +0200

"ozark" <shreevatsa@gmail.com> writes:

> Some of the lines in the buffer have only the single character '#' in
> them. I want to remove all such lines.
> I tried doing the following:
>
> M-x replace-regexp ^#$<RET><RET>
> This replaces the lines with # in them by blank lines. As this is not I
> want, I undid that, and instead tried
>
> M-x replace-regexp ^#$C-qC-j<RET><RET>
> This just says "Replaced 0 occurrences" and does nothing. Why is this
> so? (I also tried C-m instead of C-j, it doesn't work either. I'm using
> Linux)

Leave off the $.  It is described in

(info "(emacs)Regexps")

`$'
     is similar to `^' but matches only at the end of a line.  Thus,
     `x+$' matches a string of one `x' or more at the end of a line.

     For historical compatibility reasons, `$' can be used with this
     meaning only at the end of the regular expression, or before `\)'
     or `\|'.

And the C-q C-j is quite enough to match the end of line.